Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Reese Mae Williams


Reese Mae
Oct 12, 2008
5lbs 8oz 18"

Our little baby decided to finally join us early Sunday morning! Our little one weighed in a hefty 5lbs 8oz, 18 " long. Pretty much the tiniest baby I have ever seen in real life! Everything went very well! I kind of feel like a brat. I always hear all these stories about labor and pregnancy, how hard they are, the pain, how uncomfortable it is! I really got off easy! I was sick at first but not bad. I didn't get very big. Most people were surprised to hear how far along I was when I was just a few days off! I was going to try to get a belly picture at the hospital, but my contractions were so close together I had three from the parking lot to check in! I was going to be brave and try it natural. Not because I am some She-Ra wonder women, I just figured that millions have done it, so could I. Well I couldn't. My main goal was to at least get to the point of no return. Where they say take it now or never. I had been having contractions for two days. They weren't bad and really too far apart to get to got to the hospital. I was strong and still felt I could handle the no drugs. Well Saturday night about 11, I started contracting a lot. They say don't come in unless they 5 min apart for at least an hour. So I waited. I took a warm bath, tried to sleep, tried to read a book. Cody was sleeping so I sat in the living room for a while trying to decide of I should go in and lie saying it has been two hours or just call and see what they tell me. Finally at 12:15 I decided that I would go to the hospital and if they tried to send me home I would threaten to blow the place up! When we got there, they checked me in hooked me up to all the machines and said they would come check on me in 30 min. Telling me in her nicest way possible not to get my hopes up, they would probably send me home since I was only dilated to a 3. I already decided that drugs were awesome and the more they gave me the happier I would be. When she said that it would be 30 min I thought I would die! Poor Cody wasn't sure what to do! Every min I would have a contraction that seemed to last forever and he just stood there holding my hand trying to sooth me. I did feel bad that he felt so helpless, but I was busy doing other things! When she FINALLY came back to check on me (ONE HOUR LATER) she gave me her nice little smile and checked me, getting ready to say get dressed and go home. Quit wasting my time. When to her amazement I had dilated to over a 7! I had the Strep B bacteria so they were supposed to put me on an antibiotic while I was in labor, 2 doses in my IV, 4 hours apart. Well since I was already a 7 they had to hurry. I asked her when the man with the drugs was coming and she said he won't come until my IV is in and the girl to that is on her way. I then asked her to call him so he would be there waiting when she was done. And she said that he was just asleep across the hall and it would be fine. I think they all felt a little bad because they didn't really believe me that my baby was coming and that she ignored me for an hour! The Epidural man came, and quickly hooked me up. I didn't feel what he was doing because he stuck it in when I was contracting. Cody told me later that the needle wasn't THAT big. I instantly felt better. And I know Cody was happy because I was more relaxed and that made him relax. She said it was good that I got the epidural because it is supposed to slow your labor down and I still needed my second dose of antibiotics. When she came back to check on me 30 min later, I was dilated to a 10 and my water bag was ready to explode! She was again shocked and left to call the dr. I go to Provo OBGYN and there are about 5 drs there, of course the one that delivered me was the only one I had never seen! But I really didn't care, as long as someone was there to catch! While I was waiting for the dr to come in I was watching the monitors. Watching her heart rate and the rise and fall of my contractions, I was extremely thankful I decided to get an epidural. My contractions were not lasting a min anymore. There were a few that that didn't stop for the whole screen! I would not have survived that! All of a sudden we heard screaming! Cody and I looked at each other and I thought to myself idiot lady that passed on the goods! Well an hour later when the dr finally walked in, we found out that some lady came in thinking she was starting labor, and when they checked her, her baby's head was crowning! That was the screaming! She didn't even get a chance for the goods! Well the dr broke my water, and said how surprised he was that I went so fast and still seemed to think I would push for a hundred hours! He was making small talk and being so nice. I was really comfortable and actually almost enjoying myself. They told me to push and I honestly could not feel anything, so I was not sure what to do. But I just remembered seeing labors on TV and made the pushing face and they then told me I was an excellent pusher! I believed them because I am pretty good at about everything I do! I only had to push for like 20 min and then the tiniest little baby came out! I knew she would be small but I was not expecting 5lbs 8oz! Especially since she was two days late! They took her to get cleaned up she had a little trouble with her breathing, so they called a respiratory therapist in. By the time she came her breathing was normal. Everything was good! I got to hold her for a little bit, then they took her to get cleaned up. Over all it was not bad! My recovery has been awesome, she doesn't like the feeding part of things so I have been pumping but everything is going really well. She sleeps really good, probably too good. But I don't want to complain. Cody has been so awesome! He loves being a dad and she loves him. She cries when I have her, but the second Cody takes her she settles right down! He has helped so much and woke up with her the most our first night. I love my tiny little baby! I really don't know what we would do without her! It is still surreal to think that we have a little baby, but I wouldn't change it for the world! The dogs of course LOVE her! They have this sweet maternal instinct to help her when she cries!

10 comments:

thehansons said...

Your baby is so tiny that I could hardly even tell she was in the pictures with the dogs. I had to really look. She is so beautiful. Good job guys, and congratulations.

Becca said...

Congratulations again! I'm glad you had a good experience and glad that she got here with everyone okay!

Hope I get to meet her soon.

Brock and Stef said...

Congratulations we love her too!!!! She is a doll!!!

jacksonhaleywarrenandhaus said...

Congrats so was she 8lbs or 5lbs?

JethRobyn said...

Congrats Emma, I'm so excited for you. Being a mommy is the best thing ever. She is so cute. YEA! So happy

Jessica said...

I can't believe you had such a tiny baby! Lucky! I can't wait to hold her but I'm bummed it won't be until the end of December. I'm so happy for you guys! Maybe now that you've popped that thing out you can come visit me. I think it's a fabulous idea so think about it. P.S. I love her name!

Gramps said...

Emma and Cody
You both did a good job. She is beautiful and I love her name. We enjoyed reading her beginning.I can't wait to see and hold her in my arms. Gramps said next time write bigger,ha!
Hugs and kisses love to all three
Granny and Gramps

Chelsey said...

I love her name. So cute, she is so pretty. She has good parents. I didn't even remember that you had dogs, I didn't see, hear or smell them last night. That's very surprising, but awesome. i don't like the smell of animals much. Anyways, you baby is so tiny and cute. I hope the pie was okay. We'll see you soon.

oodlesofoversons said...

LOVE the name! She is a doll! Your labor story sounds so much like my first it's almost scary. Congrats again...glad everything went well.

April said...

I am so proud of you! You got all the way to a 7!! And I am so glad you got an epidural, although I know you could've done it without one. She is absolutely beautiful, and I can not wait to meet her.
I love you so much.